About Our Family

El Paso, Texas, United States
We are James, Lisa, Patrick, Christian, Carson, and Ella Payne a military family serving our country via service in the U.S. Army. Jim and I have been married for 18 years and have 3 wonderful home grown sons -Patrick, Christian and Carson. We recently adopted our beautiful daughter Ella Grace Ana from Donets'k, Ukraine in September. Jim and I began our Army life together at Fort Bliss, El Paso, Texas and every assignment thus far has extended unique opportunities and challenges for our family to grow and learn; to become a stronger, committed, and a prepared Army family. Having recently lived abroad for six amazing years, we cannot express how thankful we are for the opportunity to have represented our great country and to discover the cultures and customs of other countries; to become close to the people and learn from them; to open our hearts and minds to the unfamiliar languages and way of life in other countries. Having now moved back to the United States, we are looking forward to discovering what new adventures await our family. Rest assured, wherever the Army sends us we will continue to serve you and our country proudly. Army life, we wouldn’t trade it!

September 18, 2008

Adjustments...

I think some of you have missed our blogging....I have had several emails requesting updates and new pictures. Sorry for the delay we have been adjusting to our new household combination. Ella is settling in wonderfully. Our first couple of days home we spent with our family here in El Paso allowing Ella to "get to know" them. She enjoyed playing on the saucer swing, blowing bubbles, and writing/drawing with chalk on the sidewalk with her cousin Astryd and her bodyguards, Patrick, Christian, & Carson - talk about protective!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Sunday evening Papa left for a short business trip and Ella walked around the house calling, "Papa come to me, Papa I am waiting for you." This was in Russian and I only know what she was saying because she repeated it 1,000 times while we were in Ukraine without Papa and our wonderful translator "N" helped me out with the translation. We also made a trip to the commissary on Sunday afternoon which didn't start out to good. Ella began crying uncontrollably as soon as we drove away from the house - crying so hard she couldn't speak. I diverted to a parking lot to try to calm her down. She clung to me and was trying to tell me something in Russian....of which, I can only suspect was she didn't want to leave. The last time she had been in the car was from the airport to home (about 10 minutes). I believe she thought I was taking her back - my heart ached for her. Once we arrived at the commissary and she was out of the car, she was happy again.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Monday morning....Ella wakes up between 0530 and 0600. Now, maybe this is because her "clock" is upside down due to travel and it will taper off later, but for now it works for us. We have our little routine in the morning which includes her helping to wake the boys up for school. Now, prior to this little princess this was a chore in the morning since 2 of the 3 boys are like waking hibernating bears. Not with Ella around! She climbs into the bed with each of them; snuggles and smothers them in kisses! I think they secretly adore the attention although they will not admit it! Finally we are off to drop the boys off at school. This becomes another sobbing moment. She doesn't understand the concept of the boys leaving for school. It's heartbreaking to see her cry so hard. They try to sooth her and tell her they will be back, but she just doesn't understand. This routine happened both Monday and Tuesday however, on Wednesday there were NO TEARS! Yeah! I think she understands she will see them in the afternoon and she is absolutely elated to see them later in the day. She holds hands with both of them and is grinning ear to ear. When Patrick arrives home she runs to him and squeals with joy to see him!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Wednesday night Papa came home from a short business trip. I think if I had taken her seat belt off before Christian & Carson had gotten out of the car, she would have knocked them over running to Papa. She is all about her Papa. She will sit in the car and repeat over and over, "My Papa, Mama and brats (brothers)" smiling ear to ear as she says it.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Thursday morning there were no tears when we took the boys to school however, the moment Papa exited the car the lip drooped and the tears welled up. I pulled over so she could get out of the car to hug Papa....she so loves her Papa. No tears when she was back in the car ~ she just needed a little reassurance from him. After our walk, we strolled over to Papa's office for a surprise visit. She peeped around his door and must have caught a glimpse of him and ran in after him...never mind he was in a meeting! There are some things you just take a break for...one of them being this little girl who in such as short time has wrapped this Papa around her little finger!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Okay, that's the update! I hope this holds you over until we download and post the "Arriving Home" video and pictures that you have all been requesting.


Love,
The Payne Family

14 comments:

Mamapierce said...

She is a little doll! How sweet that she loves her daddy so much already.

The D'Antuono Family said...

I am so glad to hear that things are going well. Tears and all. There is nothing better, to me, than a little girl having her daddy wrapped around her finger. :) Sweet!

Conethia and Jim Bob said...

How wonderful to see that your connection with Ella is as strong as it is, considering the amount of time that you have know one another. It seems that she has found her "place" in the family already. It's great to hear everything is going so well.

Tami said...

What a sweetie! Of course she has her daddy wrapped around her little finger! :)

Sabrina said...

that brought tears to my eyes. I am so glad that this great story isn't fiction and it is actually happening!

Unknown said...

Hi Payne Family,

Tears are rolling down my face. What a sweet little girl and I can just picture Jim "Superman" beaming from ear to ear as well. We think of you all often and love the updates. Take care and kisses to all, Tammy White and family

Kathy and Matt said...

She's such a cutie!

I love it that she's so attached to her papa already. It's also great to hear that her brothers are so protective of her.

Glad things are going well!

Anonymous said...

I am so glad that you all are doing well. She is so pretty! I can't wait to meet her---when are you coming to Knoxville?

Love,
Lori

Anonymous said...

So glad to hear that you are all adjusting well. Can't wait to see the video and more photos.

Tab, Bill, Sarah, Billy, and Precious said...

Tears are rolling....I'm so excited for you, Jim, and the boys. She's soooo cute. I love the update and can't wait to see the homecoming video and pictures of your complete family.

Anonymous said...

Your Princess is just gorgeous! It is so sweet that she has such a close bond with you all especially her daddy and has him wrapped around her little finger. Your blog bought tears to my eyes. You forget that simple things like a ride in the car would give her horrible thoughts. Ella must be so happy and content with her new home. Congratulations and may your journey continue to be a wonderful experience. We cant wait to see more photos...keep them coming. There never seems to be enough! Give Ella an extra hug today from us. Luv The Mahers

Zack, Jenn and William said...

Sounds like things are going very well, and that she is attaching to her family beautifully - so wonderful!!

junglemama said...

Glad to hear things are going well. Ella is such a cutie.

ArtworkByRuth said...

My heart breaks for her too! Do you have anyone that can speak Russian and explain home life to her at all? Glad things are going as well as they are! God Bless!

This is our "spot" we began at the beginning of our journey in May 2007, to adopt a child from Ukraine. In August 2008, we traveled to Ukraine to bring our daughter/sister Ella Grace Ana home; and on September 12, 2008 we did just that.

While our journey to bring her home is complete, our journey together is just beginning. We will continue to keep our spot here, posting as frequently as we can; and keeping you updated on our next journey in life...maybe a second adoption is in our future.

Please join us by following us by clicking on the "Follow" link to the left and posting your notes at the bottom of any post we have made.

Recently Visited