About Our Family

El Paso, Texas, United States
We are James, Lisa, Patrick, Christian, Carson, and Ella Payne a military family serving our country via service in the U.S. Army. Jim and I have been married for 18 years and have 3 wonderful home grown sons -Patrick, Christian and Carson. We recently adopted our beautiful daughter Ella Grace Ana from Donets'k, Ukraine in September. Jim and I began our Army life together at Fort Bliss, El Paso, Texas and every assignment thus far has extended unique opportunities and challenges for our family to grow and learn; to become a stronger, committed, and a prepared Army family. Having recently lived abroad for six amazing years, we cannot express how thankful we are for the opportunity to have represented our great country and to discover the cultures and customs of other countries; to become close to the people and learn from them; to open our hearts and minds to the unfamiliar languages and way of life in other countries. Having now moved back to the United States, we are looking forward to discovering what new adventures await our family. Rest assured, wherever the Army sends us we will continue to serve you and our country proudly. Army life, we wouldn’t trade it!

September 19, 2009

Blogging More...

Okay, I am going be begin blogging more...

Should we begin with last week? I had a conference on Wednesday with Christian and Carson's teachers...outside of the tendency to "finish first" and turn their test quickly they are adjusting very well and enjoying their new school.
Ella Grace....my heart aches! The first week, someone pushed her down "my friend" she says and she has a "cut" on her forehead that requires stitches! These people in the ER know me by first name - something is wrong with that! Second week of school, is going great - on green (behavior indicator for parents) all is well and she seems happy. Third week of school - HOLY COW what happened!?!?! My sweet little girl is on ORANGE (not a good color) with remarks "not following direction and not listening." Then, I receive a call from the school - Ella Grace took her skort and panties off on the playground and tinkled....oops! When we ask her why she just says, "I not suppose to?" - I don't think she fully comprehends how to explain why she did or didn't do something. I am sure it will come in time, but she is just not there yet. I really wanted to say - be glad it wasn't number 2! So Friday, I was approached by her teaching staff (conference set for later in the week) that perhaps we should think about counseling for her.....WHAT?!?! She is 5 - she has a grasp of the English vocabulary, but it is still developing and this whole school thing is new to her - can we not give it a chance to work before we send the kid off to counseling?!?!? Come on bloggers, friends and family post your thoughts...

5 comments:

Michelle said...

Ok, we need more info...I thought you home schooling? Is Ella in kindergarten? Is it full day? How do the teachers think she is communicating at school?

Has she pottied at home like this? Has she seen the boys potty outside?

... said...

They are all back in school. I am not home schooling this year. Multiple reasons why - but on advise (from the social worker) that Ella Grace needed the socialization is the primary reason. It is full day - she is up at 0630 and in bed by 7:30 at night. She does not get a nap at school. She has NEVER pottied at home outside (that we have seen). I will find out more abouther behavior on Tuesday.

Anonymous said...

Just a side note with the pottying. In some orphanages (maybe hers) when they had to use the restroom outside the really did just ...well sqwuat and go. They are taught not to ask to go inside and I've even seen caregivers help with the disrobing and rerobing so it is certainly encouraged. She is probably confused.

tira runyon said...

It could be attention seeking behaviors...she went from spending her days w/ you to having to share adult focus w/ many other children. She has gone through so many changes in the last year. It could have been far worse, she could be showing aggression. I think w/ some time to adjust she will be fine. Is there a school counselor that can help to monitor bhaviors? Or maybe she is a little girl mocking her older brothers;)

Julie said...

Oh my goodness, Lisa! Whare have I been! I was just catching up and read this post. I hope things have improved - I'm sure they have. Time, time, time is my advice. Kinder is a big adjustment for most kids - even more so for one who's been through a lot like sweet Ella. I sub in Kinder some, and let me tell ya, you could find some way to justify counseling for every one of them, for Heaven's sake!

This is our "spot" we began at the beginning of our journey in May 2007, to adopt a child from Ukraine. In August 2008, we traveled to Ukraine to bring our daughter/sister Ella Grace Ana home; and on September 12, 2008 we did just that.

While our journey to bring her home is complete, our journey together is just beginning. We will continue to keep our spot here, posting as frequently as we can; and keeping you updated on our next journey in life...maybe a second adoption is in our future.

Please join us by following us by clicking on the "Follow" link to the left and posting your notes at the bottom of any post we have made.

Recently Visited